Thursday, April 7, 2022

✩reflecting on my past


As I add my finishing touches to 'how fast the evening passes,' I have a few outgoing thoughts.

I'm incredibly glad that the people I chose to work with were all incredibly professional and understanding when the guidance I gave them might not have been the clearest. They were able to work effectively with one another to convey a realistic and believable friendship between themselves, thanks to them all being friends already. I was so lucky that they were so understanding and comfortable with the filming process that they rarely, if ever, broke character or the fourth wall. Plus, they made filming so much fun and so painless for me. 

I'm also super thankful I made the effort to film early, even if it made me rush research and planning a bit. With the number of extracurriculars and the timing of this project, I had so many other things happening in my life that I barely had a moment to breathe. If I hadn't filmed ahead of time, I would've had to film during tech week of my show, or another inconvenient and more hectic time. Plus, filming early ensured I had ample time to edit and clean up my film to gather extra shots and do extra research as needed with less stress in the final week. Though I completely finished editing this week, I'm very thankful I had the wiggle room to edit at a stress-free pace that worked with my schedule rather than against it. This was a very good move on my part.

I do wish I spend more time planning my social media page. I feel like the content I gathered (I'm not referring to the Tiktoks I made, those were bangers and an excellent move on my part) for posts was minimal, and in my opinion, didn't help establish the brand as much as I would've hoped. The announcement posts didn't feel cohesive, and that might be because of the color scheme, fonts, or overall design of the posts. Either way, I don't feel super confident in them. I also wish I had the time to edit and put in the effort to make a "making of" video because I took a lot of BTS footage and don't seem to have a place to put it. I have only included one BTS video as of right now, and I definitely need some more, or else that will appear strange. This aspect totally needed more preparation, though I am relatively satisfied with my (almost) end result.

One last thing, I noticed that I need to work on my confidence. While this is just a general fact about me, it is easier to break down a tall task like gaining confidence into smaller portions, such as gaining confidence in my artistic choices. Though there are definitely some choices I made in my film that isn't perfect, My concept was never bad. I struggled, even when filming, to come to terms with the idea that my film is good and that I'm a good director with good ideas. I know using the word 'good' over and over is redundant, but man do I need to get this through my skull. My lack of self-confidence prevented me from making a lot of progress in the production of my film because I was nervous to commit to a concept I wasn't in love with and was afraid would lead to a terrible final product. However, with every new person with whom I shared my idea, they helped me understand that my idea doesn't suck and the choices I made were valid. I showed Jake and my film-loving Uncle a rough draft of the film and both of them had nothing but kind words for me, even when I asked them to give me specific things they thought needed to be fixed. From last year to this year, my confidence in myself and my work has stayed very minimal, but in watching my final cut, I can say with confidence that I'm really proud of myself and happy with the outcome, even if it's not the most earth-shattering piece ever created.

That pretty much covers my main feelings towards this project. Just like last year, I'm stoked to see a concept of mine being depicted on screen, whether the work came from me or not. 

See you soon!



Songs for 4/7 (two songs each day this week bc ☹︎)

"Searching" by Z by Z

"Itsuka" by Saucy Dog

No comments:

Post a Comment

✩goodbyes r hard :(

  All three components of my project can be accessed via my linktree ! I'll also separate them for convenience's sake :P ✩short film...