Thursday, February 25, 2021

✩Characters? Characters.

Recently I’ve been thinking a lot about my film’s characters, both in what their names are and what their personalities are like. So I did a few things.


First, I took a look at Pinterest to get some inspiration. As soon as I saw this photo by artist alaylays, I knew that this was exactly the type of character I wanted One to be like.



(Art by alaylays! Check them out on Instagram! Similar to how I envision One)


I love the comfy yet stylish indie aesthetic that this character has going on, not to mention the long hair with bangs really fits to me. At the moment, I’m not sure if I have an actress who would fit this description, but I do want to make sure the indie aesthetic is visible. This way, she can appear as an interesting character to follow, while also not appearing too much like a traditional main character. Though I want to make sure she doesn’t hit the “I’m not like other girls” trope typically seen in teenage films (she's probably going to be a teenager because I’m a teenager and have other teenagers at my disposal to use as actors). So, I don't want to make One appear too quirky, instead, I want One to be more goofy and plain. For example, maybe she plays guitar and watches a lot of popular TV shows, but isn’t particularly fond of sour foods and high-risk scenarios like bungee-jumping. I also want to make her LGBTQ+, likely bisexual; however, this won’t be something the film focuses heavily on, merely something mentioned or implied.


Now for a name for character One? I feel like the name Julia Summers fits. I want her name to fit her unique, indie, yet almost overlooked persona. I ideally want her to appear as nothing more than a regular girl whose story at first glance doesn't seem eye-catching or movie-worthy, something I feel a lot of people can relate to, especially in my target audience (teens and young adults) due to the popular trend of assigning people as roles in a movie.


I’d also like to give Julia a best friend that she can turn to in all the confusion that Two brings Julia’s life. I feel it could be super neat if her best friend was pretty skeptical of Two’s existence but would continue to help Julia on her search for the truth because they care for Julia. Though they wouldn’t get a lot of focus throughout the film, I feel they would be a valuable character to add to the story. I imagine this character, whose name I like as Forrest (I don't have a last name for them yet), to be very close friends with Julia for a long time, and a lot calmer than Julia. They would be able to understand Julia and help her by being a good listener. I totally didn’t plan this, but the image I had in my head for Forrest matched up really well with this image I saw on Pinterest by the same artist I linked above, alaylays, featuring the character design I showed above for Julia.






(Art by alaylays on twitter! This is how I imagine Julia and Forrest’s appearances and dynamic)


Now, for Two. Honestly, I don't have a solid idea for her, though I know she will be female, lesbian, and have an edgier aesthetic. I ideally want her to appear (that is if I decide that I would like to start my film with Two visiting locations seen later in the film) much different than Julia or Forrest, to solidify that she is not from the same world as Julia and that she is here to fight (what she is fighting, I don't know yet). This artwork by leecheedoodles on Instagram of Buttercup from the Powerpuff Girls gives a good idea of what I would like Two to look like. Also, the character Lake/MT from Infinity Train season 2 gives off the vibes of the tough, strong, but emotional type of character that I want Two to come off as.



(Check out the artist, leecheedoodles on Instagram! The version of Buttercup on the furthest right is closest to my idea of Two)




(A screenshot from the show, Infinity Train. MT/Lake is the silver character on the right)


As for her name… Honestly, I’ve grown a liking to referring to her as “Two.” And, the way that my story seems to be progressing, the audience would rarely see her, or learn anything about her until the climax/end of the movie. As a result, I think Julia (or Forrest) should give Two a nickname. Since I really like the number name and Two is not from Julia and Forrest’s world, I think the nickname “404” is very fitting. If Julia tries to find 404, she won’t be able to find anything since 404 doesn’t exist in Julia’s world, which is very reminiscent of the “404 Not Found” error pages that can be found on computers.


So, with a better idea of my characters, and finalized names, I feel I have a better idea of what my film opening will look like. Hopefully, I can begin getting ideas for different shots that will make up my film opening.


Also, if you want to check out my Pinterest boards I created for Julia, 404, and Forrest, you can check them out here.


Anyways, that's all I got for today!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

✩goodbyes r hard :(

  All three components of my project can be accessed via my linktree ! I'll also separate them for convenience's sake :P ✩short film...