Wednesday, February 17, 2021

✩More Space/Time Shenanigans

To recap where my head is at regarding the story of my film, I want to do something in the fantasy genre where time travel is the main source of the supernatural. However, the time travel will be as minimal as possible to prevent complexity that could drive away consumers. I already have an idea for my story's plot in regards to time travel, but I thought it could be beneficial to explore all of my options.


I don’t think I’ve said it before, but I have been interested in a variety of fandoms. One of which is Voltron: Legendary Defender. This show was originally released in the 1980s and saw a reboot in 2016. It gathered a large fanbase, myself included. I feel the show would be classified in the “sci-fi” genre, due to its interstellar travel, advanced technology, and time travel. Though, the show used time travel in a manner unlike Doctor Who and Back to the Future. In the show, a character, Keith Kogane, leaves the main cast to go on his own adventure with his mom. The two travel through warped space and find what is called the “Quantum Abyss.” Here, Keith and his mom bond with one another, and find a group of an almost extinct alien species. For the two, they stayed in the Quantum Abyss for two years, but for everyone else, it was not even a year. As such, he time traveled. Here is a visual of what Keith’s timeline looks like compared to the story’s linear timeline:





What I’m trying to say by sharing Voltron’s use of time travel is that there are ways to include time travel (or weird timelines) in a story that doesn’t make the plot difficult to understand. I will reiterate, that I have grown quite fond of the reverse timeline concept since I feel like there is a lot of room for creativity, whereas Voltron’s timeline weirdness feels a lot more limiting. I'm starting to get a lot of ideas for my film plot, so I'm super excited to conjure my opening.


Anyways, see you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

✩goodbyes r hard :(

  All three components of my project can be accessed via my linktree ! I'll also separate them for convenience's sake :P ✩short film...