Tuesday, February 22, 2022

✩short films aka general ideas


Hi guys did you miss me :D

I need to start getting a better grasp on the execution of my final project. I have the vibe and a variety of ideas for potential scenes, but I still feel uncertain about my next steps. In hopes of getting some clarity, I took a look at typical conventions of short films.

(article 1, article 2, article 3)

  • approx 5 mins (part of the short film package guidelines)
  • storylines are kept simple, distinct beginning, middle, and end
  • condensed narrative
  • minimal dialogue 
    • something I was aiming for already
  • characters developed through images and actions 
    • show don't tell
    • maybe I get some sort of symbol to represent either the MC or the feeling
  • 1-3 main characters
  • many have a twist, though not required
  • "They will often be made up of a number of creative shots and soundtrack making up an artistic and sometimes quirky piece"
  • less pressure to make a high-grossing piece so directors can put their own artistic view on the story.
  • low budget, homey feel
    • I don't have a budget except for my personal money so this was already the plan
  • appeals to a niche audience
    • not only bc short films aren't that popular but my short films currently are set to target people like me (I'll go into my target audience in a later post)
  • "The best short films have a clear focus and are economical with their storytelling, utilizing only one or two locations and few characters."
  • only write as many characters as necessary
    • one <3
  • give MC a very specific goal and/or a short time frame to reach it
    • this is a good idea actually, what's the MC's motivation? I guess right now having fun or ignoring the changes that are approaching them rapidly 
  • usually follows an introduction, conflict, resolution plot structure
    • ayo,,, this def helps! I think my concept was looking to follow this pattern but it's comforting to have a set path to follow, especially since I'm very lost as to how to proceed.
From article 2, I found an article that discusses a "beat sheet". Not knowing what this is, I took a look at the article and found that it's a method of constructing a short film where you write down all the important events, realizations, resolutions, and interactions in a film. It identifies all the key emotional moments and can help conceive the different scenes, settings, and details within the film. This is a super neat idea, and I'm thinking of trying it out. I plan on doing this before I start my screenplay and storyboards.

Two other things that I feel are important to discuss are these paragraphs from articles 1 and 2.

(from article 1)

So, not only did looking at drama short films change my idea of what type of short film I'm making, but so did this paragraph. It simultaneously comforts me that my plan to create a story about a specific feeling and upsets me that I was so misguided in thinking my concept meant I was making an experimental film.


(from article 2)

I read this and instantly thought that I needed to create a mind map, so I did. It definitely helped to throw down the various thought I have regarding my short film and connecting them all together into something that's (somewhat) coherent. At least it helps me solidify my concept idea which I think is swag.


(hopefully, my handwriting is legible!!)

I'm currently late for dance but I think that's all I have for today's post!



Song for 2/22

"Little Miss Pipedream" by The Wombats

No comments:

Post a Comment

✩goodbyes r hard :(

  All three components of my project can be accessed via my linktree ! I'll also separate them for convenience's sake :P ✩short film...