Tuesday, February 15, 2022

✩preliminary idea

Hey team welcome back to the blog

So today I want to jot down my basic concept/idea for my short film and I hope its comprehensible because my parents keep asking me to tell them what my new idea is and I literally can't begin to explain it so hopefully (🤞🤞) this will help solidify the idea.

I got the concept of my film from seeing an email about a fanfiction author posting a sequel to a story I loved from them. I was stoked to see it and then saw in the description of the story, a reminder that my favorite character was removed from the universe. There's a justifiable reason for the author taking him out and I completely understand and support the decision, but it left me with a feeling of... I don't know, it's hard to describe. Unease? Discomfort? I'm not sure if there's a specific word for the feeling but essentially, I was slapped with the feeling of "understanding that this is just how life pans out but I'm deeply upset because I know something that made me happy will never be the same again." Isn't that so swag. 

Anyways, it's such a specific feeling, but I've felt it a lot these past few months. Mainly from some of the stories I've read (such as the two I mentioned in the previous blog post + multiple others) but also because of college. As a senior, all people seem to want to talk about is where I want to go to college, if I'm excited about college, how I'm going to behave in college, what I want to major in in college, and so on. I'm getting sick of it because I don't have an answer to any of those questions yet, but also because it makes me think about change. My life is about to irrevocably change so dramatically in only a few months, and having to deal with everything that comes along with going away to college is so mentally taxing, so much so that I try not to think about it. 

This feeling is very specific, and I feel like with my experience in it, I could tell a cool story dealing with this emotion, which leads me to my next thing.


what do i do for a story   ?


I'm finding it really tough to come up with a story about this feeling because I don't want to make it about going away to college (feels cliche, I don't want to think about college in the first place lmao), nor do I want to make it about a fanfiction (it's so embarrassing pls), so I'm at the moment at a loss for a story. I could swing the story in the direction of growing up, which also feels cliche, but could give me more opportunities to make a coherent story. However, there was an experimental short film we watched in class called "Obscura" (I'm sorry, I couldn't find the link for it </3) which was mainly about capturing a feeling, one of longing, rather than telling a cohesive story. I really enjoy this concept and feel like I could work with it. I'm not 100% sure how I would do this, but if I do some research on experimental films, it could help me get a better idea.

Although, I do have a few miscellaneous ideas for scenes/moments of the film which I'll share to help paint a better picture of what I'm envisioning the final product to look like

  • shot of the MC sliding down a closed-door, head in hands
  • MC lying in bed, holds a beloved stuffed animal in the air and talks to it or looks at it, throws it on the floor, and turns away from it
  • MC reluctantly answers a question about what's getting them down at the dinner table from parents as they're pushing their food around.
  • and maybe something with the MC driving/visiting around their city, taking in the world around them
  • I'd love to do a roof shot with the MC staring at the night sky or the sunset, something about the night changing


I also know that if I were to add another character in the film, I wouldn't want to show their face. The story isn't about them, it's about the main character. Plus, I think it would make for a neat exploration of shots.

For some more references as to how I want the short film to feel, here are some songs (the italicized ones are the best examples, but they all work).


Alright thats enough ranting for today. I'll be back soon don't worry.

Until then!


Song for 2/15

"Sex on Fire" by Kings of Leon

(this song has a wildly different vibe than the other ones listed LMAO sorry guys its a banger)

No comments:

Post a Comment

✩goodbyes r hard :(

  All three components of my project can be accessed via my linktree ! I'll also separate them for convenience's sake :P ✩short film...