Wednesday, February 16, 2022

✩help .


So I might have lied...

I'm not 100% sold on the experimental film idea I described in my last blog post.

I'm so sorry team </3

But I'm not sure what else to do. I'll probably talk to my brother and Tina about it to see what I need to do because haha! Help.

I did take a look at some experimental films (other than "Obscura") to see if they would help my creative thoughts and what I could use to build my idea. Here are my notes :P


FILM 1: "Forever"

(the notes are a screenshot because Blogger Doesn't Like It when I try to copy & paste my notes from other places)

I mainly watched this one to get a feel for the genre and because the tech visuals were unique and cool. It gave me a good insight into the genre of experimental films but is far from the vision I have for my film.


FILM 2: "Suburbia"


This one was really neat and heavily stylized, had a little jumpscare as to how the school wifi didn't restrict the video when one of the people in the film pulls out a realistic-looking gun lmao. It has a drastically different feel than my vision (I promise I'll touch on my vision I literally have the post drafted, I'll probably post it this week or the next don't worry team we'll get there) but I do think Suburbia helped with the presentation and composition ideas.

I'd also like to mention bc I didn't put it in my notes that I'm really fond of the composition of the person sitting in the car on the phone (1:40) and of the guy singing in his room (1:00). Might use shots inspired by these in my film, we'll see how the cookie crumbles.




(glitch timestamp hyperlink: 1:50)

Guys. Guys. This one actually changed my life. Not only was it super pretty in its lighting choices and misc-en-scene, but it matched surprisingly well with the vibe I'm looking to create in my film. Seeing this film spurred a lot of thoughts in me!!! Which I am so thankful for because I needed a boost of creativity and motivation so badly

I made a voice message (memo length: 3:24) to try and communicate the variety of ideas I had as a result of viewing Weltschmerz because they hit me all at once I didn't think my mind would calm down enough to type it all out coherently.

I'm very very glad I found this short film, it gave me the hope I was looking for because I literally don't have any other ideas for a short film that I'm passionate about pursuing. Plus this emotion is very near and dear to my heart (but in like a negative way if that makes sense) so I want to be able to discuss it using my creativity.

I also looked at two other short films, "Orpheus" (super cool concept/story, did start to scare me a little bit, pls don't judge I am a Sensitive Soul) and "Mr Madden" (really liked the opening shots with the geometric scenery). Don't hate me for this, but I didn't finish either of them (I'm sorry I'll finish them later I promise </3) because I got distracted thinking about my piece. Both films were filmed using minimal color (Orpheus was very faded, Mr Madden was in black and white) which is the exact opposite of what I want, and fits closer to the Experimental genre. By this, I mean that there was underlying suspense that was emphasized to create unease and discomfort, which I realize, is also the exact opposite of what I want.

That's now two experimental genre conventions that don't fit my vision.

I'm not sure if experimental is my genre anymore. (At least, not the only one).

I started this blog post hoping to get a better feel for the task I have ahead of me, and while I achieved that goal, it came at the cost of knowing my concept toggles between the experimental and coming-of-age genres. Surprisingly, I am not a fan of coming-of-age films, so it's quite the task for me to want to try and make a coming-of-age esque film; although, the fact that I want to add elements of experimental films into it might make up for it. You decide.

And with that, time for me to go to bed.

Gn <3



Song for 2/16


No comments:

Post a Comment

✩goodbyes r hard :(

  All three components of my project can be accessed via my linktree ! I'll also separate them for convenience's sake :P ✩short film...