Saturday, February 19, 2022

✩ah the drama

 

So yesterday was a slow day, and since I've already explored a lot about experimental films to realize it didn't perfectly fit the genre I wanted, today I'm gonna talk about some other short films I watched today! These are dramas rather than coming of age, but the two genres work hand in hand when the main character is a teenager. 


FILM 1: "Night Swim" 

("maon" is me misspelling main, my bad guys </3)


This film focused a lot on the relationship between the characters and a major choice the main character made. I know that my film would focus on a feeling and specific moments rather than a chronological event if that makes sense. Obviously, I'm going to tell a story, but not in the same way that this one was presented. Idk how else to describe it so I hope you know what I mean.

When Night Swim finished, my jaw dropped. It ended so suddenly and left me with so many questions about the future of the three characters and their relationships with one another. I really enjoyed how much it focused on the main character and her emotions without stating them, instead of letting the audience make assumptions.

The lighting also rocked; I didn't write that in my notes because it's not something I strictly can or can't use, more of an observation. The lighting in the scene by the fence I really enjoyed, the contrast between the orange-tinted lamps and the dark blue sky is visually very pretty (since orange and blue are complementary colors) and makes the scene feel almost unnatural and fantastical. I'd really like to use a scene in this lighting, though I'm not sure how or when. The other cool lighting scene was the one in the bathroom with the pink tint. I really liked how drastic of a change it was from the natural lighting used in every other scene and I'd love to recreate this idea in my film somehow.






FILM 2: "Polished"



Wow, this one was really good. Very helpful in visualizing my idea for my film. It worked in a similar manner that I imagined my concept to be like. I also ended this one in awe, since the film never went into details about anything the character was doing, so when she ended up at the doctors office, it was so impactful. The way that nothing was explicitly told to the audience yet we could decipher what was happening was a really cool idea, one I'd love to use.

I honestly have no words for how amazing this one was and how good of an example it was for my film concept. I guess what i can articulate is how much of a motivator it is to know that I can achieve what I set out to.







Ok so this one isn't actually a drama, it's a comedy lmao. I just saw it and it looked interesting because its a comedy short film, an idea I thought about using in the past. I can still use some things from it, in fact the end scene gave me inspiration for a scene I could include (voice memo, length 1:16). 

Overall, looking at genres was probably more useful than the experimental films, since my concept focuses more on the main characters feelings about growing up then doing something unique with presentation. Or at least, the drama films I watched did what I want to do and are labeled as drama, so I'll likely do the same.

It does make more sense to be a drama film with elements of experimental for what I have in mind.

I think thats all I have to day for today, see you soon blog <3



Song for 2/18


No comments:

Post a Comment

✩goodbyes r hard :(

  All three components of my project can be accessed via my linktree ! I'll also separate them for convenience's sake :P ✩short film...