Thursday, February 11, 2021

✩It Begins!



Today in class I was introduced to my latest endeavor: creating a 2-minute film opening for my Cambridge portfolio. Though this task appears daunting, thankfully I have ample amount of time to create a finished project I can feel proud about. On the whole, I’m pumped to begin working on this project.


My first task was deciding what genre to make my film. There are a plethora of options, from action, mystery, fantasy, and romance. However, I have always been a huge fan of anything and everything magical or supernatural, and I want to design a storyline that I will be motivated to work on. As a result, I will be utilizing the fantasy genre for my film opening.


An interesting fact about me, I love stories and creating all sorts of original storylines. As such, when given the task of creating an opening for a film, I found myself thinking back to all the stories I have created in the past. This ranges from middle school original stories all the way to alternate universes where I take preexisting characters from a series I enjoy and fit them into a different setting. While reminding myself of these stories I created, I took some time to think whether the stories I have previously thought of were something I could adapt into a film in a visually satisfying way. I found that the majority of my stories featured a very specific setting, one that I could not pull off in my hometown or using a green screen. Many of them also included an ensemble cast, something that would be challenging due to the virus and gathering willing actors. Others featured an intricate power system that would only look believable using special effects, something I have no experience with and would likely appear extremely fake. So, as much as I’d love to make a film opening that takes place in a forest and all the characters have some sort of magic power, it’s sadly not something within the realm of my abilities. I don’t plan on completely scrapping my story ideas, for I could find some inspiration from them when producing my final story idea.


In my next blog post, I plan on talking about some different fandoms that I have been a part of that I think I could pull inspiration from during my brainstorming process.


I’ll see you on the flip side!

No comments:

Post a Comment

✩goodbyes r hard :(

  All three components of my project can be accessed via my linktree ! I'll also separate them for convenience's sake :P ✩short film...