Thursday, March 25, 2021

✩TikTok coming in clutch

I don’t think I expressed this on the blog before, but I had a lot of issues deciding how I was going to create the effect of 404 talking over the phone. I wasn’t going to film Sophia as she’s saying her lines so I knew her audio clips couldn’t sound the same as Miranda’s.


Essentially, I needed some way to make Sophia’s lines sound as if they were emitted from a phone speaker to emphasize how the story is solely told from Julia’s perspective.


I had a few ideas on how I could achieve this.


NUMBER ONE: Try and use a natural phone call. This includes screen recording a phone call (note: I didn’t actually try this because I didn’t actually think it would work but hey, worth a shot) and having Sophia actually call Miranda and have Sophia on speaker. The main issue with that is I wasn’t sure how Sophia’s would sound on camera.


NUMBER TWO: Have Sophia send me the audio afterward and record her recordings on a separate device. I know this would make the audio sound tinny. I could also use editing techniques on Miranda’s clips to avoid issues resulting from the timing.


NUMBER THREE: Find some audio filter. Honestly, I don’t know where I would find it, ut this was mainly my last resort.


Although, fear not, because Miranda had a FANTASTIC solution! I have screentime on my social media apps so I don’t waste my day away. Because of this, I didn’t know that there’s a function on TikTok where you can make audio sound like it’s coming through a megaphone. Not the same as a phone speaker, but it works!


So, Sophia recorded herself saying her lines on TikTok and added the megaphone voice filter. She then screen recorded it and sent it to both Miranda and me. Then Miranda played the video and Sophia timed how long it took for her to say her line so that she could silently cue Miranda into her next line.


It sounds pretty complicated, and it probably was, but it worked out so that's all that matters.


And hey, I got the filter I wanted without nearly as much effort as my original methods required, which is a win in my book.


If you want, take a listen to one of the videos of Sophias line with the megaphone effect.




I think it works really well!


I’ll see you later :P

No comments:

Post a Comment

✩goodbyes r hard :(

  All three components of my project can be accessed via my linktree ! I'll also separate them for convenience's sake :P ✩short film...