Tuesday, March 2, 2021

✩Communication Methods

So, as much as I wanted to talk about watching Tenet in this blog post, I might have to hold off on that. I haven’t gotten the chance to watch it, yet I might have some time this week. Hopefully, I’ll be able to talk about it.


Today I’d like to discuss how Julia and 404 are able to communicate with one another. I have a few options that I have been debating, so let’s go over them together.



First option: crystal pendants


I got these for my birthday, and I love them a lot. Using these as the method for Julia and 404 to communicate was something I thought about back when I envisioned the two girls in different worlds. Since I changed it to where they are both in the same world, I’m not sure if using the crystals still works. Though, if I wanted to highlight 404 and Julia’s friendship being magical, these would be a neat option. The biggest challenge of using them would be conveying how the girls communicate with one another. I’m not going to put too much thought into it, mainly because I’ve already decided that I’m going to set the story in reality. So, I won’t be using these.



(These are what the pendants look like :))




Second option: texting


This is the method that the characters in Homestuck used to communicate with one another. So I know that it works in storytelling, however, I would need to find a way to display the messages on screen. The whole reason that I chose the reverse timeline idea is that I wouldn’t need any graphics (and because I like it) so I’m not too keen on using texting as my way for Julia and 404 to communicate. Plus, the audience wouldn’t be able to hear each character’s tonality which I find important to the progression of the story. This leaves me with only one option.




Third option: phone calls


If my characters are never going to meet face to face but I want to hear the characters speak to one another, then calls are the only option that I have left. I don’t think phone calls are a bad idea in any way, in fact, I think it’s the best idea for the film. We would get a lot of lines from 404, which would help the audience’s immersion in Julia’s story. This is because they would hear 404 and could believe Julia when she insists that 404 is real. Not to mention, using phone calls means less complex editing for me!


This leads me to an improved intro idea that I feel confident in. I have a vision for it in my head, but I’ll make a blog post about it later this week after I make my storyboard. One last thing, I think I know who I’ll ask to play my characters, but I won’t spoil that just yet.



I’ll see you soon!! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment

✩goodbyes r hard :(

  All three components of my project can be accessed via my linktree ! I'll also separate them for convenience's sake :P ✩short film...