Friday, March 18, 2022

✩back on my research grind


With all my footage acquired, time to start the editing process.

I made a reminder for myself in this post to look up how to make footage look nostalgic, so that's what I did.

Things that I associate with nostalgia in terms of filming are light, somewhat desaturated colors, grainy filters, and rougher edges. We'll see if my research lines up with my vision.

I found this website that details how to achieve a vintage look:

  • use vintage lenses
    • I already recorded everything so it is too late for that
    • did mention how vintage cameras use "chromatic aberration" 
      • this is defined as when a lens cannot focus all the colors into one point
    • this effect is pretty nostalgic now that I'm looking at it, if I could figure out how to make this effect in Premiere, that would be awesome!
  • lower sharpness
    • mentions to turn down sharpness before filming (too late for that) or add a blur to the final edit (something I can do)
  • grainy film overlay
  • decrease contrast and saturation
  • bring up black levels from black to dark grey 
  • bring down white levels to a light grey
  • warm-up highlights (too much will give a western look)

I also found a video about how to create a retro look using Premiere Pro which will definitely help me out. The person in the video mentions that 24fps is the rate that films normally take. Not sure if that's something I have to change before or after filming, I assume before. Since my film cuts from nostalgia to loneliness, I don't think it's smart to change the fps for one part but not the other. I think I'll stick to playing with filters and effects.

The video does assume that Premiere Pro has certain effects that the person in the video made, so I'm unsure whether those are add ons I'll have to buy/download to get the effect he is describing, but I don't necessarily want to do that. However, if I must, I must.

He also adds dust that's typically seen in films. I like this a lot, though it could end up distracting, it's so cool and a staple of older films that I think it would be worth it.

The video does describe how to install the things he was describing in the video and it doesn't seem to be a lot? I'm hoping my computer won't hate me if I download it. I'll do a bit more research to see if I can add these things into Premiere myself or if its easiest to use what the video showed. I think the fact that someone had to make a downloadable folder of effects gives me my answer, though it doesn't hurt to do some more research.

I also found this short video that reiterates a lot of what I found before, and includes things I can download and alternatives if I can't. This video was very helpful :)

With that, I feel armed with the tools of nostalgia BD



Song for 3/18

No comments:

Post a Comment

✩goodbyes r hard :(

  All three components of my project can be accessed via my linktree ! I'll also separate them for convenience's sake :P ✩short film...